Week 1 of the kindness challenge just passed by and I realized that I am yet to post about it. Not that I didn’t remember to post, just that I was trying to stall as much as I could. Somehow, writing about self-compassion or kindness to self seems impossible. If writing about it is so difficult, then imagine how difficult it would be to practice it.
I almost said out aloud to Ms. Niki who runs the blog The Richness of a Simple Life:
“Niki, what were you thinking when you chose the hardest of them all to start the challenge with?”
But then I realized, it wouldn’t be a “Challenge” if it was something we could easily complete, right? And add to that, she even gave us a list of kindness exercises we could pick from.
Week 1 exercises- Pick at least one of the following to help you incorporate this week’s focus in your life:
- Think about something you’re grateful for
- Tell yourself something that you love about yourself
- Read an inspirational quote first thing in the morning
- Wake up and think about 10 beautiful things in your life
- Do something nice for yourself
- Dedicate some time to yourself
- Give yourself a break
- Think of 5 good things for every negative thought
- Come up with your own self-kindness exercise
Since I had an entire week to practice some self-kindness, I decided to try as many of the exercises from her list as I could. I will not say that it was easy ‘coz I had to constantly remind myself not to be overly critical of myself and I will not say that it was too difficult to follow either ‘coz I did not have to work too hard to achieve this! Yes, I needed a few reminders, but it wasn’t an impossible feat to achieve!
Well, here are the results of my attempt of week 1 exercises of the kindness challenge:
Think about something you’re grateful for
This was something I could do easily! I am most grateful for my son! If he wasn’t in my life, then I do not know what I did do! He keeps me grounded, disciplined, organized and keeps pushing me to learn new things every day. Whilst I do all of this for him like every parent will do, it helps me grow as a person and as a mother!
Tell yourself something that you love about yourself
I will be honest, this one was slightly hard for me! I kept thinking for the first 3 days since the week 1 challenge was posted to try and find an answer to this, yet couldn’t come up with an answer. Then, on the 4th day, it struck me – what it is that I like about myself. There is this thing in me that never allows me to give up! I take that as a quality, because even on my worst days it was this quality that kept me alive and pushed me out of my miserable self to become a better person and a better mom! That will power and that surviving spirit is one of my best qualities!
Read an inspirational quote first thing in the morning
This quote here really stuck with me!
Wake up and think about 10 beautiful things in your life
This is my list of 10 beautiful things in my life:
- My Son – Adi – my constant source of joy
- My Little Nephew who is on the way – ETA Aug 2016! 😀
- My Parents, my Sister and Brother-in law – these are my pillars of strength!
- My writing – my upcoming novel which I hope to publish this year!
- My friends who are excited about me becoming a published author! 😀
- The beautiful home and neighborhood I am living in – so beautiful!
- My job/career that challenges me every day
- Books, books and more books – I can never get enough of them!
- Music – soulful and calming music – always beautiful
- Creating memories every day!
Do something nice for yourself
My fitness and health was something that I had been ignoring for a while now. Thus in order to do something nice for myself, I started on a renewed fitness journey. I have made running a part of my daily routine. I will keep you updated on that as I move along my new fitness path.
Dedicate some time to yourself and Give yourself a break
Oh, I had a wonderful break this weekend when we went on a camping trip! The camp site was lovely, so beautiful and green that I felt in sync with nature! Plus, I got the much needed “me” time! I could not have asked for a better weekend than this!
So, this was my week 1 of the Kindness Challenge! And I must say that at the end of week 1, I feel exhilarated and fresh as though some form of heavy load has been lifted off of my chest!
Now, I am eagerly looking forward to week 2 of this challenge. I urge those of you who are not yet part of this challenge to give it a go, trust me, you will love it!